Monday, October 27, 2008

A Few Great Responses on Everyday Exercise

I wanted to share my experience with you.

My story started in 2001 when I was on vacation on the beautiful island of Aruba. I was sitting at the poolside bar, enjoying a nice cocktail. While enjoying the sun and life in general, I saw a man across the pool. He must have been at least 300 if not 400 pounds and he was digging his way through a huge hamburger. I watched the scene and got filled with horror. I looked at myself and although I was nowhere near the size of the man across the pool, I had to admit I developed somewhat of a beer belly. I guess my weight must have been around 230 pounds or so. I realized it was way too much for somebody of my age, 47 at that time. The repulsive scene across the pool triggered a switch in my head. I decided I never wanted to become like that man.

But what to do? I had a busy job, with lots of international travel. Every day was packed. I was always on the road and didn’t have time for sports. I decided I had to change. Once I was back from my vacation, I started searching on internet how I could ramp up a sports schedule, without killing myself. I started finding out everything there was to know about fat burning and cardio exercises, which heart rates I had to observe and so on. The next thing I decided was that the morning would be the best time for my exercises. Around lunch or in the evenings was not going to work for me, I was always on the phone. I just set my alarm clock half an hour earlier. I designed a training schedule and began working out every day.

So, now I had designed an increase in calorie burning. What about the intake side? I don’t believe in diets. But I realized I easily could cut down on the amount of food I was eating without starving myself. I also had figured out that beer has a lot of empty calories. So I decided I was going to stop drinking beer and I switched to two glasses of red wine a day. These two things probably would make a difference, I hoped, together with the work outs.

While I was slowly increasing the intensity of the workouts, the first two months not too much happened. But then all of a sudden in month three, my body literally started reorganizing itself. After six months of exercising, I had lost no less than 40 pounds and everybody started making comments I looked so good. It was a great reward.

Still today, 7 years later, I work out every morning. I am very fit and have a better stamina than a lot of my hockey team mates. Most of whom are ten years younger than I am.

I will turn 54 this year and I weigh 185 pounds, perhaps still a little bit too heavy, but certainly in a much better shape than back in 2001 when everything started.

What did it cost me? Apart from a few workout machines I bought at home – nothing. I just made my health and my body a high priority and I had the discipline to keep it like that. I feel my day is lost if I don’t start with my workout.

Regards, Wil


Hi Laura,

Keeping active is both a priority and a challenge. You see, I work in a salon and I write for industry publications. Both of these keep me seated most of the time. As a manicurist and a writer, I have to get up and move to stay healthy, but when you are busy it is hard to do. My solution is to almost always be training for my next marathon or half marathon event. It's like an accountability partner. You can't fake training on race day! Clients are always asking about my next event (most of which I do for charity) and how training is going. No, I'm not fast, and I won't win the purse, but I do get a finishers medal and the healthy rewards that go with training for the event.

So far, I have finished 5 marathons and countless half marathons. I even had the opportunity to take my mom to Ireland to cheer for me. The best part is it doesn't take much time and only costs a pair of shoes. I run/walk several days a week for less than and hour and do one training day as a super long run/walk. Thanks for listening, and thanks for the newsletter. - Erin


I vary my exercise routine. 2 days per week I work several muscle groups with weights focusing on dumbbell exercises to build strength and muscle mass. The other days I will vary between walking on a treadmill, doing a 1 hour bootcamp or spinning class at the local YMCA to focus on cardiovascular activity. I also use the steamroom 6 days per week to sweat out the toxins and I drink about 100 ounces of water per day. Additionally, I focus on a balance of proteins with high quality carbohydrates (fruits and vegetables). I have been following this routine most of the last year and it has been tremendous as I have lost over 30 lbs and am enjoying feeling strong again. I'm 52 and going strong. My best to you! - Joe


Hi Laura, I'm thinking about a response to your question about exercise -- it's definitely a top priority for me everyday. It always has been. At least as long as I can remember. My bedroom door opened on to the swimming pool in the house where I grew up in Manhattan Beach. I rolled out of bed, opened the door and swam almost every morning...in a kidney shaped pool.....maybe that helped me adapt to open water swimming. xxo m


Hi Laura, I dance at home or walk almost every night. I am going hiking this Saturday. I try to stay active. Margo

No comments: