Sunday, February 1, 2009

Falling Forward

Back in the Fall, on October 4th, 2008 to be exact, I was walking through a parking lot, excited to get home and head out to my dear friend Lisa's 50th Birthday party. The next thing I knew, WHAM, I was flying through the air. It was a bad fall – no kidding. To begin with, the shock of falling as an adult is awful. I sat there, badly scraped up and obviously hurt, and I held the space for the little girl inside of me and just cried for a few minutes.

As a body image mentor who has been working through old traumas for many years, I knew that it was vitally important to honor those feelings immediately, IN THE MOMENT. When we're able to do this, it saves us from having to backtrack and honor them later. But it's certainly not an easy accomplishment. Many people simply feel embarrassed or ashamed about "falling." As adults, we steal ourselves to stay composed in tough situations – much more than is realistic or healthy. We train ourselves not to be angry, or to laugh too loudly – and we certainly shouldn't sit in a parking lot after a bad fall and have a heartfelt cry.

So how did I learn to be in the moment and hold that space? Well, one way was revisiting events where I DIDN'T allow my true, healthy feelings to exist. Take a few minutes today and sit with pen and paper. What are some of those "bad falls" you've had – what were your TRUE feelings? Did you rob yourself to look strong while hurting on the inside? And what did you show the world around you, instead?

Post comments here -- I'd love to hear what you all have to say on this.

Laura Fenamore
CPCC and Body Image Mastery Mentor
http://www.laurafenamore.com/

No comments: